Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Letters

A small scene I just wrote. I don't know if it's good or not. It is a conversation between a girl and her gentleman friend. He loves her more dearly than a friendship can withstand, but she tells him of another who holds her heart.

"Why are you still writing to him if he left you for something 'grander'?"
"If you are trying to imply that he is replacing me, he did not. He merely chose his wings and I chose my roots. He asked me to come along, but I would never have been able to bear leaving." She glanced into the other room at her family, reading by the fireplace.
"Didn't you love him?" He pressed her.
"Of course."She replied softly. "I still do."
"And you let him go like this? You said he would never come back. Don't you feel abandoned?" His voice grew harder as he became more and more irritated.
"No." She breathed out in an exasperated sigh, "I urged him to follow his dreams. I wanted him to have the life he had always dreamed of. I will never let him go either. Our letters may come and go at slower paces. We may run out of things to tell each other or discuss. We may never see each other again. But until we have nothing left to say, until the letters truly end, and until I know he is sure never to return to this place, I will never give him up and I will never consider another man." She stated this as firmly as she could muster, "So please stop trying so diligently to win my heart. You will get nowhere in a race that has already been won. I hate to see you waste your time and energy for something you could never possibly gain."
He looked at her, the hardness falling gently from his face, "I'll stop. But I'll wait. When there is nothing else for him to say and when there aren't any more letters for you to receive, know that I'll always have my arms open for you." He squeezed her hand before he stood up to leave. And as he was departing he pressed his lips to her head, with a tear in his eye.
She shut her eyes tightly so that he would be unable to see the pain or the tears she was trying to hide.
He softly shut the door behind him.

The letters never stopped. They came faithfully along with fresh news of the world abroad and pleadings for her companionship.She replied earnestly, telling him she was waiting for him to come home, but he waited forever for her to find her wings.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment