Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

11) Something Unusual

I'll tell you what is unusual. My geography textbook. That one is an odd little berry. I read it and as I go through the chapter on America and all the states, the only thing I learn about is which states were involved in the Civil War and what the population statistics are. It is uninformative about any geography features whatsoever.
Sure, it tells me that the Piedmont runs through the northern states, but it does not tell me exactly what the Piedmont is.

I do know that America is in the middle latitudes and that most of the East has a moderate climate. But what do I know of the rivers? What do I know of the mountains? What do I know of the plains and hills? What do I know of the culture? Nothing.

As my elder brother put it so plainly, "You read, 'Idaho is well known for its potatoes.'" and in the Section Review pages, "What mountain range is in Idaho?" .........................................Potatoes?


No comments:

Post a Comment