Pages

Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Truth About Truth

I'm not going to lie, this month it has been HARD TO WRITE. I have so many excuses to give; it would take an entire post to list them, but there ain't nobody got time for that!

Therefore, I will commence my final post about truth, and what better to write about than truth itself?

I may have been gone for ages upon ages, but, I have not forgotten my topic. While, I was not necessarily meditating on this (which would have been good for me), I did give it a good hard thought every other day...

Truth:

What is it? There are so many Bible verses about it...where do I start? I must say I have been baffled by it frequently...

But why should I be? Jesus gave us the definition oh so clearly: "I am the Way, the TRUTH, and the Life, no man comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14:6)

Jesus is truth. He is the only truth.

But still I am at a loss to understand.

The dictionary says truth is anything that is true (to which I reply: CIRCULAR REASONING...but whatever, Mirriam Webster...)

And true means: agreeing with the facts: not false; real or genuine; consistent.

Now, I'm beginning to see the light...(Have I ever told you I dive head first into my blog posts? I learn as I write and drag you along for the journey. You're welcome!)

Jesus is real; He is genuine; He is consistent. What facts does He agree with? All facts! He invented facts.

His ways are true. He never lies. His words are true. He is true. I wonder what it is like to be true...

Are you just reading past that? Do you grasp what I am saying? I have the queerest feeling as I ponder these things. What is it like to be true? Is there a rock-hard answer that I am missing? Do you have it? It must be in the Bible, if there is an answer at all. I'll look:

The Bible Promise Book for Women reads as follows: "In the Bible, the idea of truth carries four interpretations: 1) actual, true to fact; 2) real, ideal, genuine; 3) dealing faithfully or truly with others; and 4) truth in all its fullness and scope, as embodied in Jesus, showing sincerity and integrity of character."

For the Lord is good. His unfailing love continues forever, and His faithfulness continues to each generation. (Psalm 100:5)

The Rock! His work is perfect, for all His ways are just; a God of faithfulness and without injustice. righteous, and upright is He. (Deuteronomy 32:4)

Doing everything in truth is to do it faithfully, sincerely, genuinely, righteously, justly, and unfailingly. And Jesus does just that, for He is truth itself.

Buy the truth, and do not sell it, also wisdom and instruction, and understanding. (Proverbs 23:23)

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things. (Philippians 4:8)

This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down His life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in His presence whenever our hearts condemn us. (1 John 3:16-20)

These are the things you are to do: Speak the truth to each other, and render true and sound judgement in your courts. (Zechariah 8:16)

For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. (John 1:17)

And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. (John 8:32)  }



No comments:

Post a Comment