Pages

Thursday, May 1, 2014

May: A Month of Truth

Lately, in my personal walk with God, I have been noticing a pattern: everywhere, it seems, I see a trend of my Christian friends, Christian books, and multiple other sources, all focusing on truth.

Last month, in our girls Bible study (Maggie, Claire, and Kate are some who attend), we were discussing Chapter 5 of the Francis Chan book Crazy Love.
I wrote in an email to Kate:

A basic summary of the video we watched: "As Christians we need to learn to think for ourselves Biblically. We need to think things through and check the mindset of the Scriptures instead of following the patterns of other people. Don't let other people feed you the Bible; discover its truths for yourself. Test everything you hear by what the Bible says. "The Solution to being a Lukewarm Christian is not to try harder, but to fall madly in love with Jesus Christ."

As far as the conversation went, we chatted about how we were lukewarm and different ways we could show others the love of Christ. We talked about loving siblings and parents and performing loving acts of service to the people around us, basically imitating the character of Christ.

Then Margaret asked us to share with each other our various God-given gifts, stating ways we could use them correctly and incorrectly. We went around the room 'bragging' about our gifts. What are our God-given gifts and how do we use them the wrong way, and how should we use them the right way?



I'll share with you what I said: My God-given gift (not spiritual gift, mind you, just a mere talent) is writing. I know exactly how to use it the wrong way because I do that all the time. I use it for my own self-pleasure and to gain attention and praise from other people. I write for myself when I should be writing for God.
The right way to use it is a way that I do not use very often. The right way is writing for God's glory and pleasure (after all, He is the One Who gave me this gift). 
I need to write truth. I need to bring the attention to God and not me.
The other girls had lovely talents and answers as well, but our basic conclusion was:
wrong way: pleasing ourselves
right way: pleasing God

 
I must not only use my gift of writing for God, but use it for speaking truth as well.

I have been reading Systematic Theology, by Wayne Grudem. In it he speaks of many things, including the communicable attributes of God, one of which being truth.
God is the ultimate standard of truth. Grudem says: "God's truthfulness means that He is the true God, and that all his knowledge and words are both true and the final standard of truth."
And since truth is one of His communicable attributes, should I not be truthful as well?

My anatomy teacher, Mrs. French, on the first day of class, said, "Here, we will only speak words of life. Words can kill, words can tear down, and words can build up. In this class, use only words that will build other people up."

And now I bet, Sunshyne will be happy I use this quote from the Book Thief:
"In my religion, we are taught that a thing is only alive because it contains a word for life.  That’s the difference between you and a lump of clay. Words are life..."

The psalmist praises God for His words of life:
Psalm 33: 6, 9 
By the word of the Lord the heavens were made,
    their starry host by the breath of his mouth.
He gathers the waters of the sea into jars;
    he puts the deep into storehouses.
Let all the earth fear the Lord;
    let all the people of the world revere him.
For he spoke, and it came to be;
    he commanded, and it stood firm.

Solomon's wise words give life and health:
Proverbs 4:20-27
 
20 My son, pay attention to what I say;
    turn your ear to my words.
21 Do not let them out of your sight,
    keep them within your heart;
22 for they are life to those who find them
    and health to one’s whole body.
23 Above all else, guard your heart,
    for everything you do flows from it.
24 Keep your mouth free of perversity;
    keep corrupt talk far from your lips.
25 Let your eyes look straight ahead;
    fix your gaze directly before you.
26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet
    and be steadfast in all your ways.
27 Do not turn to the right or the left;
    keep your foot from evil.

So you see, as I have now shown you, all these things coming at me, mostly all at once. It seems I've been bombarded with a call to truth. Everywhere I look, Truth screams at me, begging me to make her known.

 I must write truth.

For the longest time, I have been answering my flesh's desire to write for my own entertainment. I have been too much at liberty in the area of fiction. I have let out a torrent of fairy tales-not that fairy tales are bad things: "We can whole heartedly enjoy creative activities (artistic, musical, athletic, domestic, literary, etc.) with an attitude of thanksgiving that our Creator God enables us to imitate Him in our creativity." (Wayne Grudem). 
I just have to get back on track. I need to speak truth. That is my plan this month: to wash away my fictional daydreams and focus on God's truth.

Stay with me on my journey in truth. It will be hard for me, a lover of fantasy, to pursue truth. I will need support, words of encouragement-words of life.
 

Share below in the comments what truths God has revealed to you! I love hearing from you!
 

3 comments:

  1. First of all: This is a simply wonderful post all around. I'm so glad that you have devoted this month to writing truth, it will certainly be a refreshing journey for me to come along on with you.
    Second of all: The Book Thief Quote is too awesome for words, like seriously! ;)
    Third of all: I have found that God shows me truth everyday. I have always done my very best to be as honest as possible, but I feel like I've hurt people by telling them the truth. I believe that God has really showed me over the past couple months or so that the truth is going to hurt. He has also showed me that truth and personal opinion are not the same thing. I think that that alone has been the absolute hardest for me to comprehend. For example, I may love a work of literature wholeheartedly, so therefore I would consider it to be a "truth" that the certain work of literature is coined as "Amazing!" by someone else. Yet, we all know that I would only consider such a statement true because I agree with it. Ugh! I don't think I'm making any sense! (This sounded better in my head haha!)
    Fourth of all: I know that is going to a bit rough for you, but I know that you can get through it all. At the end of the day, you can always pray! (Whoa, super unexpected ryhme-time!) I'll be reading every step of the way, and my encouragement shall flood you! :)
    Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!
    You totally made sense! I completely understand-personal opinion is not always truth. Yes, I've struggled there.

    Thank you very much for your encouraging words:) See? Words of life-this is what I'm talking about ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very welcome! :-)
    Oh, good! I was worried that I was just ranting on and on and not making any sense lol.

    Words of life are AWESOME! Words in general are AWESOME. But yea...haha!

    ReplyDelete