Pages

Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Truth About Food

1 Corinthians 10:31

 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

This is one of the verses that helped inspire this month's topic. All my life, I have wondered, "How in the world do we eat and drink and EVERYTHING to the glory of God?"


Now, maybe you have figured it out, if so, let me know in the comments, please!

But here is my light-bulb moment I had a few months ago, which I have been brainstorming ever since:

Food brings us together:

We fellowship around food, whether it be a church potluck, a Thanksgiving dinner, or just a family luncheon. 
We serve food to others. We like having people over to enjoy a meal. Jesus did too. Remember this:

Luke 5:27-32
27 After this, Jesus went out and saw a tax collector by the name of Levi sitting at his tax booth. “Follow me,” Jesus said to him, 28 and Levi got up, left everything and followed him.
29 Then Levi held a great banquet for Jesus at his house, and a large crowd of tax collectorsand others were eating with them. 30 But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law who belonged to their sect complained to his disciples, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?”
31 Jesus answered them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 32 I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”



We also serve food.

Jesus did too:

Mark 14:
22 During the meal Jesus took some bread in his hands. He blessed the bread and broke it. Then he gave it to his disciples and said, “Take this. It is my body.”
23 Jesus picked up a cup of wine and gave thanks to God. He gave it to his disciples, and they all drank some. 24 Then he said, “This is my blood, which is poured out for many people, and with it God makes his agreement. 25 From now on I will not drink any wine, until I drink new wine in God’s kingdom.”


Oh, and just so you know, Jesus not only likes to eat with sinners and disciples, but He also wants to eat with you (yes, you).

Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear My voice and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me.
Now of course, Jesus is talking about spiritual food. It is symbolic, yes, yes, I know.
But still, food is important. Cultures revolve around the foods they make. 
When we think of America, we think about apple pie and hotdogs.
Japan is sushi and raw fish.
England is tea and scones.
Mexico is fajitas and tacos and burritos and rice.
Why do you think we have so many varieties of food? Why did God make all these flavors?
He could have just given us one kind of fruit tree to feed us and keep us healthy. He could have made tongues without taste buds.
Can you imagine what that would be like?
But He didn't! God gave us the ability to taste and enjoy breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner, and supper!
Why?
Because He wants us to see how absolutely awesome He is!
 We pray before we eat, thank Him for our meal, and say Amen. But have you ever truly thought how thankful we should really be that God gave us so much flavor in our lives?

Praise Him with me and thank Him so much for food, glorious food!




2 comments:

  1. This post sort of blew my mind...just a bit!

    Awesome job, as always! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Thank God for this little bit of inspiration! (Always thank God;)

    ReplyDelete