Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

A book I love

Today's topic is to write about a book I love. A topic which took me FOREVER to decide.
But, in my mental (and sometimes out-loud) debates with myself, I finally determined that I would write about this one:
Yes, it is a rather childish book, but a good one. I have read it almost as many times as Ginger Pye (which is another childish book that I was debating whether or not to write about..).
The protagonist Lizzie is going to high school. She has conflicts in what to wear to school, fearing what all the popular kids will think of her, whether or not she wears a dress or a tank top. She also goes to her school's football games and is uncomfortable there.
So now you may be wondering, what is it that draws me to this book?
Lizzie carried around a notebook, and I carry around a notebook.
Lizzie liked to dress in dresses, and I too dress in dresses.
Lizzie read poetry, and I read poetry.
Lizzie was a poet, and I wanted to be.
I am a poet now because this book inspired me. It showed me that I could be a poet.
Lizzie loved to write poetry, but at school, all the kids thought she was weird for stopping mid-walk-down-the-hall just to jot down a line of prose. She was uncomfortable with her gift.
The whole book is about her growing into her talent and learning to accept the way she was and being grateful for it.
I never have been insecure about my writing. I have only ever been unsure whether I am a writer or not. Yet, as I read this story, I found all the little things I had in common with this strange girl and it changed my life.




No comments:

Post a Comment